Ensure your gas service is turned on. If you are a seasonal natural gas customer, schedule to have your gas service connected. For most residents and businesses who only use gas for heating, seasonal accounts allow service to be turned off during the summer months to prevent being charged taxes and fees when the gas isn’t being used.
Have your home heating system professionally inspected and serviced before the cold months to ensure its functioning properly. Its recommended to have natural gas furnace systems serviced at least every other year. A properly functioning furnace is one of many ways to save on heating bills.
How to Save on Home Heating Bills
- Check your gas rate plan. Natural gas prices usually rise in the fall and winter months as demand increases. If you are on a variable rate, you may save money by switching to a fixed rate. Learn more about our gas rate plans.
- Seal leaks around windows and doors. Sealing up openings and replacing worn weather stripping is one of the best ways to save on heating bill, an estimated 5 to 10 percent in savings on your energy bill.
- Install a programmable thermostat. You can save up to 20 percent of heating cost by lowering the thermostat 10 degrees when the house is unoccupied and at night. Smart thermostats allow you to pre-set when your heating turns on.
- Replace air filters monthly. Dirty filters slow down airflow and cause your heating system to use more energy, slowing down the heating process.
- Adjust airflow. Closing the vents to unused rooms will help focus the home heating efforts to the important portions.
It can take up to five days for Atlanta Gas Light (AGL) to turn on your gas service, especially during heating season. If you need your natural gas service turned on, the sooner you call, the less likely you will have to wait. AGL is the company who owns the pipelines that natural gas flows through in Georgia and is responsible for turning the gas on or off for customers.
We hope these home heating tips help. Call us or visit us online to check on your account or turn on gas service before it gets too cold.