Today, it seems like every type of technology is going “smart” – from smartphones and smartwatches, to smart cars and smart thermostats. As smart thermostats such as The Nest grow in popularity, the reason why is no surprise: the energy-saving and cost-saving benefits are undeniable.
Want to know how smart thermostats can save you money? Here are five reasons why making the switch to a smart thermostat is the way to go.
- It can save you some cash. Only a few months after installation, a smart thermostat has the potential to save you a decent chunk of change. Three studies of Nest Learning Thermostat found that smart thermostat savings equal about 10 to 12 percent in heating costs and 15 percent in cooling costs in homes with central air conditioning. That can add up to more than $140 a year! You can put those extra savings into a sweet vaycay to the beach during those cold, winter months —and then save even more by setting your smart thermostat to vacation mode.
- It learns on its own. What’s beautiful about this innovative product is that if you really wanted to, you could go without ever having to actually touch it. The device is considered a learning thermostat, meaning it can sense even the smallest change in temperature and adjust accordingly. So whether your oven is pushing extra heat into the room or the outdoor temperature unexpectedly dropped 10 degrees, your home temperature will automatically stay right where you want it.
Additionally, some thermostats come with a built-in occupancy sensor. After a week or so of manual adjustments, the system will begin to recognize your presence and adjust on its own. A smart thermostat will correct your home to the right temperature before you even realize the change.
- You can control it on-the-go. Most smart thermostats come paired with iPhone and Android apps that give you the power to control your heating and cooling system anywhere you are. If you opt-out for the learning thermostat and want to keep it basic, you can manually adjust the temperature of your home with a few swipes on your phone. With the unpredictability of the outdoor weather (especially in Georgia), this feature allows you to quickly snap into action so you can at least have temperature predictability in your own home.
- You get instant alerts. Another perk of smart thermostats is the ability to immediately receive updates through text, email or direct notifications. For example: If a cold front comes through and your thermostat adjusts to accommodate the drop in temperature, you can opt in to be alerted of this change, along with an explanation. If you feel that the adjustment was unwarranted, you have the option of immediately reversing the change. The thermostat will then learn your preference and take it into consideration when making future automatic adjustments.
- See how you save. Some smart thermostats offer you a monthly report outlining your energy usage. The easy-to-read tracking system offers you insights for why certain days spiked or how you can save even more next month. You can learn how your spending compares to other users and even be rewarded for using energy-efficient settings.
Making the switch to a smart thermostat is a smart move. During the winter months, it’s the perfect tool to cut down on natural gas usage and save some cash – even throughout those hot, humid Georgia summers!